ESPLANADE. The Department of Public Works and Roads is about to build the Alegria Esplanade, a four-lane road that will serve as a rehabilitation project for the area heavily affected by Typhoon Odette (Rai). / Alegria PIO
TYPHOON Odette (Rai) destroyed Cebu’s two-lane national highway along the coast of Alegria City on December 16, but its residents now have something better to look forward to.
This, after the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH)-Engineering Office of the 7th District of Cebu presented the project of Alegria Esplanade which involves a four-lane road, said the Public Information Office of Cebu. ‘Alegria (PIO) on its Facebook page.
Cebu 7th District Engineer De Danilo Villa presented a road rehabilitation project including four vehicular lanes, a cycle lane as well as a promenade during an inter-agency meeting held at Barangay Legaspi in the city southwest of Cebu on January 25, 2022.
The project, which has not yet been approved by the DPWH central office, is expected to begin this year and last three to five years, Alegria’s PIO said.
However, work on the first stage of the project, an initial two lanes of the 1.398 kilometer Anongan-Alangasil road network in the city’s Barangay Madridejos, could be completed in just two to three months, Villa said.
Alegria has nine barangays, at least four of which lie along the coast.
During the meeting, Villa called on residents living near the shore whose homes had been destroyed by the typhoon not to return there, but rather to use any financial assistance they may receive to rebuild their homes elsewhere, as their houses in the area could be affected by the project.
The Anongan-Alangasil road project would serve as a possible pilot or model for road rehabilitation in more than 30 cities in Cebu affected by Typhoon Odette.
The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) has been instructed to provide financial assistance of 5,000 pesos to low-income families and owners of houses destroyed by Typhoon Odette in the six regions, including the Visayas plants, declared in a state of calamity by President Duterte in proclamation 1267, series of 2021.
Under Joint Memorandum Circular 4, Series of 2021 by DSWD, Department of Home Affairs and Local Government and Department of National Defence, financial assistance will be disbursed directly to relevant Local Government Units (LGUs) for cash distribution in the amount of P1,000 per person concerned with a maximum amount of P5,000 per family.
In addition, the provincial government of Cebu is providing assistance worth 8,000 pula contained in the Dasig Sugbo cards for reconstruction.
Digital vouchers allow typhoon victims in 36 LGUs to purchase building materials from Capitol partner merchants so they can rebuild their damaged or destroyed homes.
The distribution of cards began on January 19, prioritizing families whose homes were destroyed.
That day, Governor Gwendolyn Garcia presented Alegria Mayor Verna Magallon with 2,298 of the 2,475 cards intended for the city.