CCSC agrees: no more political rallies in the sports complex

0

Cebu City Sports Complex Oval Track.

CEBU CITY, Philippines – The director of the Cebu City Sports Complex (CCSC) agrees with Mayor Michael Rama that large political gatherings should no longer take place at the sports facility as it hinders its operations and does not doesn’t pay much anyway.

Jovito Taborada, the director of the sports complex, told a press conference that they no longer accept political gatherings, especially those with huge crowds, since the mayor banned such activities from taking place in civic spaces.

The last political event at the CCSC was the campaign rally of the Bando Osmeña Pundok Kauswagan (BOPK) in favor of the vice presidential candidacy of Senate President Vicente Sotto, III.

Taborada said that although they win political rallies, many organizers are calling for entry fees to be waived. This is supposedly where the revenue for the sports complex comes from.

This means that political rallies don’t really bring in as much revenue to the CCSC given the cost of maintaining such events.

“Kung gamay okay ra. Pero di man sad kaayo income generating kay kasagaran there is no entry. Ang tawo sad daghan kaayo,” Taborada said.

At present, the CCSC has only about 25-30 regular employees and up to 50 employees in total who may be called upon to work in the event of larger events.

For now, management is focused on reopening all of its facilities to earn more revenue so it can also repair the damage caused by the two storms that recently hit the city, Typhoons Odette and TD Agaton.

The oval track has been open for months now, bringing in the majority of the facility’s revenue. Studios have also reopened, while the pool will reopen for coaches and athletes by Friday, April 23, 2022.

So far, the CCSC earns 30,000 pesos a day from entrance fees, which is still half of the pre-pandemic income of more than 60,000 pesos a day.

Over the past two months, the CCSC has earned 1.3 million pula through entry fees, political events, concerts and donations.

They ran a donation campaign to repair the facility, which was heavily damaged by Typhoon Odette. The money was used to repair the roof of the bleachers area.

Taborada hopes that as they open more facilities, athletes and their coaches will return soon so they can earn more, which will translate into better service.

Meanwhile, the Cebu City Elections Commission (Comelec) has declared that banning political events in civic spaces is the prerogative of the local government unit (LGU).

Marilou Paredes, the acting Southern District election official, said the mayor has the prerogative to allow or ban political rallies in certain areas of the city.

LGUs may have reasons to ban events, such as what Rama decreed for Plaza Independencia, CCSC, and Fuente Osmeña Circle, due to traffic, peace and order, or crowd control.

/bmjo

RELATED STORIES:

Prohibition of political events in Plaza Independencia: a solution or an excuse?

Cebu City denies playing partisan at political rallies and events

3k Fans Join UniTeam’s ‘Unity March’ in Cebu City

Aika Robredo, Cebu Youth Supporters will host a fun family walk on April 9

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

Read more

Warning: Comments uploaded to this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of the management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem inconsistent with our editorial standards.


Source link

Share.

Comments are closed.