CEBU CITY – The city government will hold a solid waste management summit here to gather new concepts to solve waste problems in the capital and as a prelude to the strict implementation of the “no segregation, no collection” policy “.
In a virtual presser, Mayor Michael Rama said Monday that since Typhoon Odette hit the city in December last year, he’s watched residents throw trash “indiscriminately” while city hall workers Cebu were undertaking a clean-up campaign in the villages.
As part of the plan to “bring back discipline”, Rama said the city will work to re-instill civic awareness in residents to select their trash for disposal at designated times and to separate those that may still be recycled.
“But that’s easier said than done. So when we went up to the town hall, we favored waste management, only interrupted by Odette. Anyway, in a few days we will start our waste summit,” the mayor said.
The April 6-8 summit at the SM City Seaside mall here will solicit “ideas from our citizens across all sectors and feed them into what will become a comprehensive waste management agenda,” he said.
Reymarr Hijara, organizer of the summit, said the city government had invited representatives from different sectors, national government agencies, non-governmental organizations, barangay officials and academics who could contribute to the development of the plan. city-wide waste management.
He said managers of waste-generating establishments such as hotels and restaurants were also invited to share their own concepts on sorting waste.
In addition, in an effort to solicit foreign aid projects related to waste management, the city has invited representatives from various embassies as well as the World Bank.
Rama said the city is also studying some prototype solid waste management policies overseas.
“I’ve been to too many places in the world and accessed all types of systems and practices, (they are) the best when it comes to solid waste management and Cebu City deserves the best and we have to always be aware of that,” he said.
Meanwhile, Rama said he was ready to listen to ideas for the city’s waste-to-energy (WTE) project proposal, which is the subject of a draft joint venture agreement (JVA). with New Sky Energy Philippines Inc.
Cebu City Council Majority Leader Raymond Garcia said the proposal is now open for public review and awaiting a better offer from other neighborhoods.
The city is pushing for the implementation of the project despite questions about the “adverse effects” of incineration-based WTE on the environment.
Based on the JVA, the WTE facility will be built in the city and will be operational for 40 years. (NAP)