DBM says disaster fund is sufficient as typhoon season approaches

0
An aerial view of destroyed houses on a collapsed mountainside along the coast in Pilar village, Abuyog town, Leyte province on April 14, 2022, the day after a landslide hit the area in due to heavy rains at the height of Tropical Storm Megi. Bobbie Alota, AFP

MANILA – The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) assured the public on Thursday that the government has enough funds to respond to this year’s calamities as more typhoons are expected to hit the Philippines in the coming months.

“To this day, mayroon pa tayong sapat na pondo. ‘Di pa naman masyadong nabawasan’ yung calamity fund. Kalagitnaan [pa] lang ng horsefly,” Tina Canda, DBM secretary, said during the Laging Handa briefing.

(As of today, we have enough funds. The calamity fund for the year has only been slightly depleted. And we are only halfway through the year.)

She did not provide the exact amount remaining for the calamity fund, but said the contingent fund that will increase the calamity fund is still at 6.8 billion pesos.

The contingent fund is released after the president’s approval, she said.

The PAGASA State Weather Bureau reports that on average, about 20 tropical cyclones enter the Philippines’ area of ​​responsibility each year, of which about 8 or 9 pass through the country.

The peak of typhoon season is from July to October, when nearly 70% of all typhoons develop, according to PAGASA.

Last month, PAGASA declared the start of the rainy season and said intermittent rains associated with the Southwest Monsoon or “Habagat” would begin to affect Metro Manila and the west of the country.

Agaton, the first major storm to hit the country this year, left 175 people dead and millions in damage to infrastructure and agriculture.

Laging Handa, PAGASA, calamity fund, contingent fund, DBM, Department of Budget and Management, Laging Handa briefing,


Source link

Share.

Comments are closed.