The National Weather Service will travel to the Charlotte area to determine if a tornado was part of a powerful storm system that downed trees and knocked out power for thousands of people in the northeastern counties of Mecklenburg and of Cabarrus on Monday.
The survey will take about four to five hours and results will be available by afternoon, Doug Outlaw, an NWS meteorologist in Greer, South Carolina, told the Charlotte Observer on Tuesday.
The storms affected parts of Mecklenburg, but they did “heavier damage” in the Harrisburg district of Cabarrus, Outlaw said. About 4,000 Duke Energy customers along Plaza Midwood Road Extension, Hood Road, Rocky River Road and Harrisburg Road lost power, the Observer previously reported.
Tornado warnings were issued Monday afternoon for an area including Concord, Kannapolis and Harrisburg. Another warning has been issued for Rowan County.
In South Carolina, a tornado warning was issued Monday evening for an area from the northern York County line to the southern Chester County line, the Herald of Rock Hill reported.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Emergency Management will join the NWS team in assessing damage throughout the region, the agency said in a statement Monday.
As for the rest of the week, the Charlotte area is expected to experience mostly cloudy skies and highs in the mid-70s on Tuesday and Wednesday, according to the NWS forecast. Forecasts indicate a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms on Wednesday.
There’s an 80% chance of rain Thursday night, but severe weather shouldn’t be an issue, Outlaw said. The chance for any possibly damaging weather will be southwest of Charlotte, toward South Carolina, he said.
“Right now the risk of something serious happening like what happened (Monday) is pretty low,” Outlaw said. “We’re going to have more rain.”
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
This story was originally published May 24, 2022 11:05 a.m.