Mandaue: Some schools plan to hold emergency classes when full face-to-face classes begin

0

Teachers at Canduman Elementary School in Barangay Canduman, Mandaue City, are preparing for the start of enrollment this month for the upcoming school year. | Marie-Rose Sagarino

MANDAUE CITY, Philippines – Some schools in Mandaue City will hold emergency classes when full face-to-face classes are implemented due to lack of classrooms in some schools.

Leo Daculan, public information officer and faculty president at Canduman Elementary School, said that as part of the emergency classes, they will hold two class sessions from 6 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 12 p.m. 6 p.m.

The school has more than 3,300 inhabitants.

“Covering every number of hours can be enough and do a 6-hour classroom makeover,” Daculan said.

(The number of hours will still be covered as we have studied the 6 hour makeover course.)

At least 8 classrooms at Canduman Elementary School were damaged by Super Typhoon Odette. However, the damaged buildings have been assessed by the city government and the school has already requested a budget for the repair.

Apart from Canduman Elementary School, Cubacub Elementary School is also ready to hold emergency classes.

School principal Imelda Nuñez said they were already running out of classrooms even before the pandemic, although they divided each classroom to fit into two sections.

However, when setting up limited face-to-face lessons, the partition was removed out of obligation and to ensure respect for social distancing.

Cubacub Elementary School has only 15 classrooms.

Edgar Espina, one of the spokespersons for the Department of Education in the city of Mandaue, said that more schools will eventually set up emergency classes as buildings damaged by Odette remain unrepaired. .

“Naa gyud tay problema ana. Magkuwang gyud ta’g classroom igabli his class. However, we try our best nga macope up ni siya nga problema. We can fix it and have a full implementation of VP and Secretary Sara one-on-one on November 2,” Espina said.

(We really have a problem with this. We are running out of classrooms when classes open. However, we are trying our best to deal with the problem. We can solve the problem and have classes of children who, according to vice -president and secretary Sara, would be the full face-to-face set-up on November 2.)

Classes in public schools will begin on August 22. DepEd said public or private elementary and secondary schools should move to five days of in-person classes by Nov. 2.

Espina said some schools have already started repairing structures that weren’t badly damaged by the typhoon.

Earlier, Dr. Nimfa Bongo, Superintendent of Mandaue City Department of Education (DepEd-Mandaue), said that the city’s engineering office had already drawn up the work program for each school.

RELATED STORIES

Mandaue City Government donates disaster bags to primary school students

Kaabag Mandaue donates recycled schoolbags to three elementary schools in the city

Mandaue starts preparing next month’s Pasigarbo sa Sugbo

VP Sara: Sorry teachers, classes are due to start on August 22

/dbs

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

Read more

Disclaimer: Comments uploaded to this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of the management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem inconsistent with our editorial standards.


Source link

Share.

Comments are closed.