Typhoon Hinnamor forced the Ports of Shanghai, Ningbo and Busan close, further disrupting shipping schedules from Asia. Shanghai’s container terminals and stockyards were closed at 4 p.m. yesterday ‘until further notice’, according to Normandy Global Logistics (NGL). Ningbo terminals closed on Friday, the freight forwarder added.
Thomas Gronen, Greater China Manager at Fibs Logistics, said: “We have not received any delay notices from the shipping companies, but we need to check the status of each vessel on a case-by-case basis. We expect normal operation again and, generally, a two-day delay in departures. »
He added: “PVG [Shanghai Pudong Airport] also canceled most flights yesterday, with normal operations expected, again, by Tuesday. A Dimerco representative said Ningbo’s shipping schedules had already been under pressure from empty sailings, and shippers were now facing further delays.
She explained: “Recently, ships have been delayed or canceled frequently [from Ningbo] Due to lower freight rates on Southeast Asia and some US routes, the typhoon could now further impact ship schedules.
A Maersk spokeswoman said: “Inbound pilotage services at the ports of Shanghai and Ningbo have been suspended and all container ships are to be evacuated. The ports of Busan and Kwangyang are also closed. We are closely monitoring development and preparing contingency plans for ships/cargo.
Indeed, the ‘massive’ storm could have a bigger impact on South Korea – according to reports, Typhoon Hinnamor has a radius ‘big enough to cover from Seoul to Busan’ and could be the strongest in history from the country.
It is expected to land near the port city of Busan tomorrow morning, causing flight cancellations and the suspension of some business operations.