The Cebu City Government has now complied with guidelines set by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) by establishing a temporary transfer station at South Road Properties (SRP).
This is what Cindylyn Pepito, spokesperson for the Central Visayas Environmental Management Bureau (EMB 7), told SunStar Cebu on Friday, January 21, 2022.
Pepito said most of the household waste that was disposed of in the area during the implementation of Oplan Barug Sugbo has already been transported by the city government.
What remains is the organic debris that was recovered after Typhoon Odette, Pepito added.
Pepito said that for a site to become a transfer station, the waste stored there would only have to stay for less than 24 hours in accordance with Republic Act 9003 or the Ecological Solid Waste Management Act of 2003. .
Cebu City Councilman Joel Garganera previously said the government is temporarily disposing of debris it collected during the Oplan Barug Sugbo.
Garganera said using the SRP as a temporary transfer station was a drastic measure during the cleanup period after the devastation of the typhoon.
During its city-wide cleanup from January 8-9, the city was able to collect 1,400 tons of debris and trash.
SunStar’s website encourages friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the management of SunStar and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or edit comments posted here without notice. Inappropriate messages will be automatically deleted.
Don’t use profanity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the subject. Do not stray from the discussion. Be consistent. Don’t shout and don’t use CAPS!