GREEN BAY, Wis. (WBAY) – The National Weather Service said the June 15 storm spawned 13 tornadoes as it moved through the state, including 10 in northeastern Wisconsin.
The weather service said it had completed its investigation into the storm. There were two tornadoes with a magnitude of EF-2 and 11 rated EF-1. The NWS records tornadoes and their damage tracks in this order:
- Tornado EF-2: Monroe and Juneau (Wyeville) counties. 200 meters wide, 22.5 miles long.
- Tornado EF-1: County of Vernon (La Farge). 200 meters wide, 6.4 miles long.
- Tornado EF-1: Juneau County (Mauston). 150 meters wide, 8.37 miles long.
- Tornado EF-1: Shawano County (Wittenberg). 125 meters wide, 9.5 miles long.
- EF-1 Tornado: Waushara County (West Bloomfield). 100 meters wide, 4.81 miles long.
- Tornado EF-1: Shawano County (Bowler). 50 meters wide, 0.58 miles long.
- EF-1 Tornado: Waupaca County (Manawa). 120 meters wide, 3.14 miles long.
- Tornado EF-1: Outagamie and Shawano (Navarino) counties. 80 meters wide, 8.23 miles long.
- Tornado EF-1: Outagamie County (Seymour). 300 meters wide, 9.37 miles long.
- Tornado EF-2: Marinette County (Caldron Falls). 375 meters wide, 1.9 miles long.
- Tornado EF-1: Marinette County (Middle Inlet). 200 meters wide, 6.6 miles long.
- Tornado EF-1: Marinette County (Amberg). 120 meters wide, 8.56 miles long.
- Tornado EF-1: Marinette County (Pembine). 115 meters wide, 0.65 miles long.
The date is tied to June 7, 2008 and August 9, 1979, for the eighth worst one-day tornado outbreak in Wisconsin history. The worst day was August 18, 2005, when there were 27 tornadoes.
Other than those 13 tornadoes, all other storm damage is blamed on straight-line winds. There were no reports of deaths or injuries from the storm, but more than 175,000 WPS and We Energies customers lost power, which took days to recover.
Wisconsin records an average of 23 tornadoes per year. This storm brought the state 20 tornadoes in mid-June. The state’s peak tornado season runs from April through August, but tornadoes have been reported every month of the year except February.
Copyright 2022 WBAY. All rights reserved.