51,260 people assisted in May 2022
USD 639,000 in cash transfers made
486,000 USD distributed in the form of vouchers
Net funding requirements of $5.5 million over six months (June to November 2022)
• WFP published its scoping study on social protection and WFP in the Philippines. The study explored the main national and international actors working in the field of social protection, their policies, priorities and initiatives, and assessed the main opportunities and challenges facing the country to advance nutrition outcomes and response to shocks through national social protection. It also provides a set of recommendations to define and improve WFP’s role and engagement in supporting national social protection.
Response to Typhoon Rai (Odette)
• Nearly 6 months after Typhoon Rai, WFP continues to assist the most vulnerable people in line with the revised Humanitarian Needs and Priorities (HNP) plan. WFP has reached 320,000 people affected by Typhoon Rai so far, distributing 1,136 tons of rice and $6.6 million in cash and voucher transfers.
• In May, WFP launched cash-for-work activities targeting 80,000 people for two additional months in Bohol, Caraga and Southern Leyte. Activities identified during community consultations include rehabilitation of coconut trees, market gardening, reforestation of mangroves and repair of pedal boats.
• WFP also conducted education activities in southern Leyte on nutrition and gender-based violence for over 100 nutrition researchers and health workers. The sessions are conducted in partnership with local authorities and UNFPA.
• As part of its monitoring activities, WFP has conducted interviews with more than 1,100 beneficiaries since the start of the operation. Monitoring results indicated that 98% of beneficiaries were satisfied with the assistance.
Response to Tropical Storm Megi (Agaton)
• WFP continued to support the government-led response with logistical support. Since the passage of Tropical Storm Megi, WFP has provided 131 trucks to transport 109,000 family food parcels, as well as other relief supplies and equipment.